Wednesday, December 23, 2015

I've gone and put my foot in it...

I've broken the board (or "deck") of my treadmill again, this time it has lasted for slightly more than a year. The first time it broke after only 5 months, but I was using the treadmill much more heavily and running at higher speeds. According to the iFit website, I have run 1,093 kilometres in the last year on the treadmill, at an average pace of 4:05 /km. It's quite possible that some of those workouts didn't get logged properly for whatever reason but, if it is a reasonably accurate measure, then the board is about as robust as a pair of trainers (and minimalist ones at that)!

I suppose that the professional treadmills must have a much more resistant block of wood because otherwise gyms would be forever replacing them. Now, I wonder if there is a way to have one made to fit my treadmill? Perhaps I could have one made that is also less "bouncy" and more akin to running on asphalt. So far I have turned up a couple of possibilities by digging around on the internet, so I'll let you know if I manage.

In the meantime, I went for a run at lunchtime - outside - for the first time since the Marathon. It was also the first time I had been running with someone else I think this year. It was very enjoyable, especially with this great weather we are still having in December (sunny, about 15 degrees). I had been in a pretty foul mood all morning, but a bit of fresh air was all I needed to dispel the clouds.

UPDATE: I managed to find someone in Spain (www.restoretronic.com) who could make me a custom deck out of plywood - which is what they use in the upmarket treadmills instead of that MDF crap. As the deck is quite large (65.5 cm x 143 cm), they recommended reinforcing it with some bars - something I am getting an "expert" to do for me. All in, the cost is around 185€ for the deck plus about 60€ for the reinforcement and installation. If it lasts at least two years, it will be worth it.

By the way, just in case you are wondering, it isn't as straightforward a matter as simply having a piece of plywood cut to the right size: it has to be coated in a special "slick" surface to avoid it overheating as the belt runs over it. These days, most treadmills are supposed to be used without any additional lubrication.

1 comment:

  1. No ganas para tablas de la cinta de correr, mira que eres bruto...o mira que es mala tu cinta... ;) Ánimo!!

    ReplyDelete