Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Cholesterol results

If getting a PB in the New York Marathon was not enough, I also got a "PB" in my cholesterol test last week. I've gone from 206 mg/dL total to 177 mg/dL (-14%) of which my ratio of so-called good (HDL) to bad (LDL) is now 84:79 - practically 1:1 - from (57:139), representing a 40% increase in good and a 40% decrease in bad.

So this at least makes me a little sceptical of the claim one of the books I read made, that it wasn't possible to significantly alter cholesterol levels via diet, as the body compensates for less ingested cholesterol by upping its production. I continue not to buy into the whole cholesterol = heart disease thing but the diet has been quite easy to follow (I now don't even want milk in my coffee any more, for example) and I think it is basically a common sense healthy way of eating.
Let's see if the doctor agrees...

No comments:

Post a Comment