Monday, October 22, 2012

Happy Feet Too


My wife has been singing the praises of shea butter (beurre de karité) since she first started bringing it back from Mali years ago. As it smells pretty rancid, I didn't really pay her much attention at first, but she suggested that I try it on my feet which are unlikely to smell any worse than they actually do.

I don't know whether to attribute this to the shea butter or just to having given my feet time to adjust to the travails of marathon training but, one thing is for sure, my feet are in better shape than ever with not even a single blister in sight. On Sunday I ran 35 km in my Run Amocs with no socks and not a single blister to show for it. For some reason, I always seem to get far more blisters on my left foot and on my right - usually on the skin of the first and fifth metatarsals - but the new skin has finally come through with a nice leathery thickness that should hopefully last me to the finish line of New York in a couple of weeks' time. Bear in mind that the biggest threat to my breaking 3 hours in the Marathon in Seville earlier this year was, in fact, a piece of very hard skin which was causing the neighbouring skin to ruck up and become irritated which I had to remove days before the race. Blisters are no laughing matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment