Sunday, November 21, 2010

Why we run

I don't want this blog to turn into one of those blogs where I detail laboriously all my training runs but today was special. I can only suppose that its due to being in the tapering phase, where the training volume is reduced significantly, so that I have much more energy than usual. I'm also a bit nervous to write about it, as if I were tempting fate but, what the hell, I don't seriously believe in that crap - anything can still go wrong in the Marathon for any number of reasons, none of them being that I have somehow "jinxed" myself.

(I am touching wood as I write.)

Today just felt great and I wanted to write about it, more than anything just to remind myself in the future what it should feel like. The run was a 20 minute warm-up, followed by two 4km runs a bit slower than my marathon pace. I judged this pace by my heart rate but ended up running them both much faster than I expected. I thought something was either wrong with my watch or with me, it felt so easy and fluid. And now, I really don't feel tired; quite the opposite - I have this nice tingling feeling in my legs, my lungs feel bigger than normal and I feel wide awake. This is the famous "runner's high" that comes from the endorphins coursing through my body.

This is why we run.

3 comments:

  1. You should read Once a Runner by John Parker.
    http://www.amazon.com/Once-Runner-Novel-John-Parker/dp/1416597891

    There is a conversation between the main character and his coach just before the big race his been training for which is quite similar to your post. I think he talked about feeling invulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the heads up. i just bought it from amazon - looks very good from the reviews. i have a bit of an addiction to books (mainly buying them, but also reading some of them). i may do an article on running / swimming / cycling / tri books at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same vice here. Amazon is a drug. A really strong one.

    ReplyDelete